Sustainability and Environmental StatementGibraltar Hotel has a strong commitment to its local community and the environment. The hotel is committed to sustainable development and will set objectives and targets to improve its environmental performance on an ongoing basis.
The hotel has been designed and built to consider its short and long term impact on the environment. In particular, during planning and construction, strong consideration was given to:
- Choice of lights and air conditioning systems to ensure efficient energy usage
- Use of recycled water systems for grey water
- Re-use of water for irrigation purposes
- Selection of sustainable construction material
- Orientation of building and choice of construction and fit out materials to increase the building’s thermal mass which minimises need for air conditioning and heating
- Comprehensive recycling and waste management systems
Gibraltar Hotel is built on 100-acres which includes the Gibraltar Country Club golf course. The golf course is an important recreational and open space in the Highlands and is a special place for local residents, member and the broader community.
As part of its commitment to the environment, Gibraltar Hotel has embarked on a five year improvement plan to upgrade the golf course and improve its sustainability. The plan includes measures to improve on- site drainage and water usage as well as weed management. The hotel is committed to these improvements.
The Hotel also recognises the adjacent Gibbergunya reserve is a special place for the local community and in particular to the local aboriginal community, the Gundgurra people. The hotel will work with the local aboriginal people and the friends of Gibbergunya to help preserve and recognise this very special reserve.
Gibraltar Hotel also recognises its role in promoting the Southern Highlands region as a tourist destination and the innate benefits of this role to the local economy. The hotel is committed to using local produce and suppliers wherever possible and to promote other businesses and tourism operators.